Thursday, July 8, 2010

Meeting Michele Bachmann

*Note:  This post is my personal opinion and is in no way sponsored or endorsed by Michele Bachmann or any political candidate.*

I met Michele Bachman, U.S. Congresswoman from Minnesota, this evening at a Boy Scout fundraising event.  As much as I hate to admit it, all I knew about her before today was that she says government over-regulation is at fault, not businesses; which was enough to know she had a decent head on her shoulders.

At the start of the event, I was directing traffic in the parking area, and I talked briefly with her driver as they drove in.  With over 500 people in attendance, most of whom wanting to speak with her, it was a bit tricky getting close enough to start a conversation.  Her entourage was very friendly, and I even got to take a picture with her.  The first thing I asked her was, "When can we vote for you for president."  She said, "Not this year."

We only exchanged a few sentences, but she briefly mentioned that the government has no right to impose fines on private businesses (BP), and agreed with me when I said they also didn't have a right to own private businesses (GM) and that I haven't seen any quarterly profit checks from them in my mailbox.  Then she excused herself and went to the next group.

After I got back, I looked up her voting record here.  There were a few of my coworkers who don't agree with her politics, but even so, for a U.S. Senator to come to a Boy Scout fundraiser and spend time with the people she represents is something most politicians don't do on any sort of basis.  If more politicians spent time with the people they are supposed to represent, I think our country would be much better off.

And as far as having any strong candidate in the 2012 presidential race, we'll just have to hope we have better choices than we did in 2008.

© Nate Phillipps 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment